[Haskell-cafe] Substring replacements

Branimir Maksimovic bmaxa at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:21:48 EST 2005

This is what I got for BM. Performance dissapoints as BM is really
suited for indexed strings like arrays.It mainly operates on indexes.
This is simple BM, as I didn't want to go
for more complex variant,becauses takes and drops and recalculation of next
position
is too pricey for non indexed structure. So, clear winner is KMP for
non indexed strings. There is also finite automaton algorithm
but this works well if search strings are precompiled, so I'll
implement it only for education purposes. I hope my Haskell improves
as I've learned how to reduce number of paramaters.

searchReplaceBM :: String -> String -> String -> String
searchReplaceBM "" _ str = str
searchReplaceBM sr rp str = searchReplace str
where
    table :: UArray Int Int
    table  = array (0,255) ([(i,0) | i <- [0..255]] ++ proc sr 1)
    proc [] _ = []
    proc (s:st) i = (ord s,i):proc  st (i+1)
    len = length sr
    rsrch = reverse sr
    searchReplace str
     | null remaining = if found then rp
                                 else passed
     |found = rp ++ searchReplace remaining
     | otherwise = passed ++ searchReplace remaining
     where
        (passed,remaining,found) = searchReplace' str
        searchReplace' str
            = if j == 0
                 then ("",drop len str,True)
                 else failed
            where failed = case drop (j-1) str of
                   [] -> (str,"",False)
                   (c:_) -> (take sk str, drop sk str, False)
                    where md = j - table ! ord c
                          sk = if md > 0
                               then md
                               else 1

                  j = srch rsrch (reverse $ take len str) len
                    where srch "" "" _ = 0
                          srch _ "" l = l
                          srch (s:str) (s':str') l
                            | s == s' = srch str str' (l-1)