[Haskell-cafe] [Newbie] Why or why not haskell ?

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 08:54:21 EST 2005

I would surmise that speed is not always the point. This is what's
usually used to defend the laziness of Haskell :-).

Erlang is _the_ language for network programming, trust me on this
one. My dreamhost site seems to be down at the moment but you can
poke around the Erlang category at http://wagerlabs.com/ if you want.

On the one hand, I wrote a poker server in Erlang and that was a
relative breeze. I was able to host many thousands of poker clients.
On the other hand, I had a LOT of hard time with my current Haskell
project. I'm trying to launch many of thousands of poker clients so
there's a lot of similarity.

If I were to do this in Erlang I would focus my attention on the
actual logic of the app as binary packet parsing, serialization,
networking and heavy-duty concurrency are non-issues with Erlang.
Simple and absolutely nothing to speak about. This is why Erlang is
being used for a lot of telco apps that require massive loads,
protocol conversion, etc.

I did get my Haskell app to the point where it's about 90% ready and
working but most of my attention was spent on... binary packet
parsing, serialization, networking and heavy-duty concurrency :-).
Yes, it's working now but it took blood, sweat and tears. It's now
two months later and I have yet to see the Haskell app launch
thousands of poker clients and run them for hours.

	Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/