[Haskell-cafe] Verbosity of imperative code (was: Learning Haskell)

J. Garrett Morris trevion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:06:17 EST 2005

On 12/8/05, Robin Green <greenrd at greenrd.org> wrote:
> Sure, I take your point. But I just jumped on my latest hobby-horse: verbosity
> of imperative code is not that necessary.

There was a discussion along these lines some time ago, started by
Frederik Eaton with the subject line "Mixing monadic and non-monadic

Personally, I think that automatic lifting is unnecessary.
Multi-parameter type classes for the numeric prelude, combined with
occasional usage of LiftMn, should handle almost all the lifting
without needing to extend the language (further).

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.