[Haskell-cafe] Optimistic Evaluation was Re: Can't Haskell catch up with Clean's uniqueness typing?

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Tue Dec 6 12:16:02 EST 2005

haskell-cafe.mail.zooloo at xoxy.net writes:

> being occupied with learning both languages, I'm getting curious if
> Haskell couldn't achieve most of the performance gains resulting from
> uniqueness typing in Clean by *automatically* determining the reference
> count of arguments wherever possible and subsequently allowing them to
> be physically replaced immediately by (the corresponding part of) the
> function's result. Are there any principal obstacles, or *could* this be
> done, or *is* this even done already, e. g. in ghc?

Maybe you're describing speculative evaluation?

Optimistic Evaluation: An Adaptive Evaluation Strategy for Non-Strict Programs
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/ennals03optimistic.html
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.