[Haskell-cafe] Learning Haskell

Peter Robinson listener at thaldyron.com
Mon Dec 5 19:15:15 EST 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 23:26, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> I do not have a strong math background.
> Is lack of strong math background a major hindrance to learning Haskell?
While it's certainly helpful to have some basic knowledge of lambda calculus,
type theory, etc.  most concepts in Haskell can be understood intuitively -
that means without digging deep into theory.

> Also, I understand Haskell's benefits for programming larger projects.
> But how does it do on programming in the small?
> ie: using Haskell where I might have used Python for scripting?
Small tasks can be solved quite efficiently in Haskell compared to most other
languages. This is a good place to start since you don't need to know about
advanced concepts (Monads). See the tutorials [1] or the haskell wiki [2]
for examples.

Regards,
Peter

[1] http://www.haskell.org/learning.html