[Haskell-cafe] Monadic vs "pure" style (was: pros and cons of sta tic typing and side effects)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worcester.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 06:49:57 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 11:08 +0100, Bayley, Alistair wrote:
> > From: Martin Vlk [mailto:vlcak01 at tiscali.cz]
>
> http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Staff/Current/michaelw/sttt-ml-haske
> ll.pdf
>

> This quote from the paper resonated with me:
>
> "Also, if
> imperative elements of a given application were not taken
> into account during its design but turn out to be necessary
> later on, often major parts have to be redesigned or
> (at least) reimplemented, especially because types change
> significantly. A simple but recurring example is to add
> printing of status information to an otherwise purely
> functional algorithm. In the worst case this could result
> in having to rewrite the algorithm in a monadic style, but
> also to rewrite its callers (and transitively their callers
> as well), plus adjusting all type annotations on the way.
> Even when using opaque accessors to data structures, the
> required changes cannot necessarily be limited to a single
> module, but affect large parts of the system."

This is often a misconception, that just because you find you need to
'do' something in the middle of your algorithm, that you need to convert
it wholly to monadic style.

In the above example, it sounds like a better approach might be to keep
the algorithm pure but change it slightly so that it returns a list of
intermediate results rather than just the final results. That way an
outer bit of code in the IO monad can print status information, but the
core of the algorithm remains pure.

However such a trick is obviously not possible in every case, such as
your example of converting some pure array code to use destructive
update. (Unless you can make your code into a function from the current
state of the array to the new state (perhaps by returning a list of
changes) in which case you could partition the code into the pure part
and a thin wrapper that does the iteration and actually updates a
mutable array)

Duncan