[Haskell-cafe] Need a concurrency advice

Dinh Tien Tuan Anh tuananhbirm at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 11:39:15 EDT 2005

Hi,
Basically, my program has 7 threads for 7 rules

Rule1
Rule2
..
..
..

and they all use pattern-mattching (a rule MUST be evaluated by a thread)

The problem is there are some overlapping rules, which match the same
pattern and diifferent rules are likely to give different results (one rule
might give a result, others might loop forever).

Also, for a particular pattern, there's at least one matching rule and there
may be some rule looping forever (try to evaluate a "bottom" _|_)

Im thinking of getting a list of all the applicable rules for a pattern,
then hopefully can choose the best rule out of it.  But we have no control
over the scheduling of threads, so dont know when a thread finishs its
evaluation (if it is applicable rule) or it just never terminates (rule that
tries evaluating a _|_)

So any ideas ?

TuanAnh