[Haskell-cafe] FFI and callbacks

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worcester.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 10:24:03 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 15:45 +0200, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> I haven't found any issues with wxHaskell misbehaving when it's called
> from different threads, but I'd like to know for sure that it's
> actually honest-to-goodness thread safe. So does anyone know?

Actually here's an even more direct statement. From:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/whychoos.htm

        Multithreading

        Like many frameworks, wxWidgets isn't 'thread-safe' in the sense
        that the programmer can use GUI code indiscriminately from
        threads, but it does have a range of thread and mutex classes
        for the careful and more ambitious programmer. These classes are
        under development.

Unfortunately, when using wxHaskell (or indeed Gtk2Hs) with -threaded,
this is exactly what's happening "using GUI code indiscriminately from
OS threads".

Which is why we need some better solution.

Duncan