[Haskell-cafe] Re: fptools in darcs now available

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Apr 29 06:24:44 EDT 2005

Simon Marlow writes:

 > if I just want to check out e.g. Haddock, I have to get
 > the entire fptools repo (350M+, wasn't it?).

I guess the "best" way to do that with Darcs would be to

 (1) pull the fp-tools repository,
 (2) delete all files you don't need for Haddock,
 (3) pull that into your Haddock repository.

So by pulling Haddock you would automatically get those
parts of fptools that you need. The intermediate repository
created in (2) can be deleted afterwards.

Now you can pull from "fp-tools" into "Haddock" to update
your build infrastructure.

 > 1. Make it possible to 'darcs get' just part of a tree.

I might be wrong about this, but my impression is that
Darcs does not support "modules" of any kind. You check out
an entire repository, not less.

 > 2. Create separate repositories for GHC, Happy, Haddock
 > etc., and duplicate the shared fptools structure in each
 > project. Each time we modify something in the shared part
 > of the tree, we pull the patch into the other trees.

That's the way to do it, IMHO.

 > is it possible to cherry-pick from a tree that doesn't
 > have a common ancestor?

Yes, although the merging process may be non-trivial.

 > If not, can we make the repositories appear to have
 > common ancestry?).

Just pull the "common ancestor" repository into all
sub-repositories, as described above.

Peter