[Haskell-cafe] Writing functions in Haskell.

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com
Thu Apr 28 21:55:40 EDT 2005

Hello Cale,

Thank you for your help.

Cale Gibbard wrote:

> From the example you gave, it looks like you're using "Yet
> Another Haskell Tutorial" from http://www.isi.edu/~hdaume/htut/ which
> is actually my favourite tutorial.

The tutorial itself is quite good, and I like it. I guess I've had a
long day, and when I was asked for my name and email I didn't react well.

Oh well, life goes on.

> When using hugs or ghci, you should note that what these do is to
> evaluate Haskell expressions and print (or execute) the results. To
> actually write programs, (define data types and functions and such)
> you'll need to fire up a text editor and enter your definitions into a
> .hs file, which you can then load with your interpreter by passing the
> filename on the commandline, or by using ":load filename.hs" at the
> hugs or ghci prompt. I think this handles your first problem.

Alright, got it. In hinsight, I misunderstood the tutorial. It showed me
the function but it didn't actually say to type it in. Thanks for the
help, I can write functions now. :-)

> The second problem arises from hugs not doing the same thing as ghci
[snip] You can tell hugs to also load the Char module on top of
> whatever code you have loaded by using the command ":also Char", after
> which the prompt should look like
> Char>
> and you can try
> toUpper 'a'

Alright, yes that works. Thanks!

> There are a number of resources which you might be interested in for
> learning Haskell. You've already found the mailing lists, there is
> also an IRC channel: #haskell on irc.freenode.net, where there are
> plenty of people to help at any time.

Oh, good. IRC is good.

> There's also a wiki at:
> http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/FrontPage
> The page http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/HaskellNewbie in particular
> might be useful, as it answers lots of common questions from new
> users. If you have additional questions, feel free to ask them there
> and someone will probably respond fairly quickly.

Ok, thanks. I really appreciate the help. And thank you for the friendly
response. I'm eager to keep learning Haskell. The language looks very
impressive.

Cheers,
Daniel.