[Haskell-cafe] Writing functions in Haskell.

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at digitaldistribution.com
Thu Apr 28 20:56:11 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to get started with Haskell. I must say that as good as the
language must be, the documentation was been a source of frustration.
Only one document actually showed me how to get started (ie. run hugs or
ghci), and I was asked to give out my email address before getting it.

Sigh...

Well, in any event, I did get that document in the end and I've been
reading through it. I've compiled Hugs on my Solaris workstation. There
were no errors at compilation. Yet, I think there's something seriously
wrong with my installation. I can't seem to be able to defin functions:

my/prompt $ hugs
Hugs.Base> fibs 1 = 1
ERROR - Syntax error in input (unexpected `=')

And some functions seem to be missing.

Hugs.Base> Char.toUpper 'a'
ERROR - Undefined qualified variable "Char.toUpper"

I was hoping that someone could confirm or deny that my Hugs
installation is broken.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Daniel.