[Haskell-cafe] HTTP and Browser modules

David Owen d_w_o at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 22:28:17 EDT 2005

Good morning

I have a query about compiling the original version of the HTTP
implementation in Windows
(http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/warrickg/haskell/http/).

Using the compile commands stipulated a series of similar errors to do with
the HTTP module appear.  They are to do with a type mismatch, one of these
errors for example is:

./HTTP.hs:592:
          Couldn't match 'IOError' against  'Exception'
              Expected type: Exception -> IO (Either a [Char])
              Inferred   type: IOError -> IO (Either ConnError b)
          In the application 'handleSocketError sk'
          In the second argument of 'Control.Exception.catch', namely
               '(handleSocketError sk)'

Line 592 is: readBlock sk n = (liftM Right $ fn n) `Exception.catch`
(handleSocketError sk)

Have hacked about for some time to no avail.

I don't know why this occurs because the code appears exactly the same in
the updated version
(http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d00bring/haskell-xml-rpc/http.html) and that
compiles, albeit in linux only due to the Cabal constraint.  I need it to
work in Windows though so must use the original version.  (I need it to
compile using GHC 6.2.2)

If anybody has seen this problem before or knows how to correct it I'd be
very interested in your assistance  :-)

cheers to all

david