[Haskell-cafe] Closest analog to popen()

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:52:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

Does there exist any analog of popen in the standard Haskell libraries?

I need to execute an external program (not a Haskell funciton) - maybe
in a shell, being able to feed something to its stdin, and finally
catch the exit code. Does there exist a way to do this without dealing
with multithreading, writing my own ffi and other stuff?

Something like rawSystem, but acting asynchronously (returning a
writeable pipe handle, and a process ID), and later I would use
getProcessStatus to catch the exit code.

PS I have found
http://community.moertel.com/ss/space/Tom's+Haskell+code/POpen.hs
so far, but it does not seem to be part of the standard library.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web