[Haskell-cafe] OCaml list sees abysmal Language Shootout results

Tomasz Zielonka t.zielonka at students.mimuw.edu.pl
Thu Sep 30 10:56:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:49:46AM -0400, Kevin Everets wrote:
> I took Georg's, fixed the word count logic and added prettier
> printing, and then combined it with Sam's main (which I find more
> elegant, but others may find less straightforward).  I think it
> strikes a good balance between efficiency and elegance.

Then how about a solution like this: I took your program but used
my fast fileIterate instead of ,,foldl over getContents''.
I also added {-# OPTIONS -funbox-strict-fields #-}, and played a bit
to get the best optimisations from GHC.

It's about 7 times faster this way, but it's still two times slower than
the solution I sent to shootout.

Devilish plan: Maybe we could have some variants of fileIterate in GHC's
libraries? ;->

I remember that someone proposed similar functions on haskell's lists
some time ago, but can't remember who.

Best regards,
Tom

--
.signature: Too many levels of symbolic links