[Haskell-cafe] OCaml list sees abysmal Language Shootout results

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Sep 30 06:26:15 EDT 2004

Just out of interest, I ran all of these suggested variations of
the word count solution in Haskell head-to-head against each other.
Here are the results, in seconds, on my machine (2.4GHz x86/Linux)
for the suggested input (N=500) from the shootout site.  All Haskell
versions were compiled with ghc-5.04.2 -O2.

	original space-leaky	2.257
	Greg Buchholz		1.619	*
	Sam Mason		0.594
	Malcolm Wallace		0.457
	Georg Martius		0.322	*
	Tomasz Zielonka		0.047
	linux 'wc'		0.085

Those marked with a * gave the wrong number of words.  The really
interesting thing is that Tomasz's solution is twice as fast as the
standard Gnu implementation!

Regards,
    Malcolm