[Haskell-cafe] Writing binary files?

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Wed Sep 15 07:42:03 EDT 2004

I've not been following this debate, but I think I agree with Ross.

In particular, the idea of "narrowing" the Char type really seems like a
bad idea to me (if I understand the intent correctly).  Not so long ago, I
did a whole load of work on the HaXml parser so that, among other things,
it would support UTF-8 and UTF-16 Unicode (as required by the XML
spec).  To do this depends upon having a Char type that can represent the
full repertoire of Unicode characters.

Other languages have been forced into this (maybe painful) transition;  I
don't think Haskell can reasonably go backwards if it is to have any hope
of surviving.

#g