[Haskell-cafe] Stack overflow in ghci

Ron de Bruijn rondebruijn at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 11:47:51 EDT 2004

I have an expression that gives a stack overflow in
ghci (official Debian unstable CVS version)) when I
evaluate it. The expression doesn't use more than
150MB of memory (I have more). How can I make sure the
stack overflow doesn't happen?

There are no strictness flags in my program. But I use
DData Maps(I don't know whether they are implemented
strict). I also don't know whether strictness/lazyness
has anything do to with it.

*SomeModule> test
*** Exception: stack overflow
(148.67 secs, 250825284 bytes)

Sometimes I get a negative number of bytes.

I heard of the +RTS option. I used:
ghci SomeModule.hs -someoptions +RTS -K1500000, but
this doesn't seem to have any effect. I think there
should be someother option to change it?

Thanks in advance,
      Ron de Bruijn