[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Naming Conventions ?

Henning Thielemann iakd0 at clusterf.urz.uni-halle.de
Wed Sep 1 04:57:43 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Koray Can wrote:

> I can imagine once one gets used to them, they don't pose any problems.
> Nevertheless, while I still learn, these names are quite awkward for me
> to read and talk about haskell.

Yep, I agree absolutely.

> I searched the mailing list archives for a similar discussion, but I
> couldn't fine one. Is there a reason why things are named in such a way
> that conflicts with what's being followed for other languages ?

I've searched the mailing archives, too, and found nothing. But I've
recently tried to start a discussion about pairs of identifiers:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2004-August/002420.html

There's even some more to discuss about:

 - get_value vs. getValue

 - current Prelude style        Modula-3 style
   import DataType       vs.    import qualified DataType
   value :: DataType            value :: DataType.T