[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Thu Oct 28 20:16:57 EDT 2004

Thanks for the explanation and example.  I think the goal is to close
the pipe (for instance) asap after writing is finished.  GC imposes a
delay, but so does bracketing, especially where modularity is desired.
Consider that the bracketing IO code calls separately defined IO code,
which makes the final write to a pipe but then do more work before
returning.  In that case, a GC-like solution may close the pipe, release
the lock or whatever, sooner than the bracket solution, especially if
the descriptor GC were particularly eager.   Just as with memory
management, stack-based allocation and freeing thwarts modularity or
efficiency or both, and automatic GC is a possible solution, if it
performs well enough.

Cheers,

     - Conal