[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Tue Oct 26 15:22:58 EDT 2004

Ben Rudiak-Gould <Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> For this to really work properly the whole OS needs to be designed
> around it. Such OSes exist -- they're called "capability-based" -- but
> like so many other good ideas this one hasn't generated much interest
> in industry. I think we're stuck with explicit file handle management
> for the next couple of decades.

hOp/House doesn't have a filesystem yet.
See http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/ (source recently released)
Maybe we won't always require explicit file handles.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - Programmer - http://www.ScannedInAvian.org/
"I will, as we say in rock 'n' roll, run until the wheels come off,