[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Tue Oct 26 13:52:02 EDT 2004

Sam Mason <mason at f2s.com> writes:

> The best idea I've seen is another one from Microsoft Research.
> It's an extension to C that allows the the programmer to use the
> type system to specify the lifetime of things.

I'm worried about putting too many thing in types. For example many
people believe exception specifications in Java are a mistake.

Such problems often don't show up until someone tries to write big
programs. It's not sufficient that it appears to work for toy

Putting many things in types is generally problematic for all kinds of

   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/