[Haskell-cafe] Re: Are handles garbage-collected?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Oct 26 10:03:28 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-25, Tomasz Zielonka <t.zielonka at students.mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:55:46PM +0200, Remi Turk wrote:
>> P.S. Why do so many people (including me) seem to come to Haskell
>>      from Python? It can't be just the indentation, can it? ;)
>
> How many? I don't.

I'm one.

I look at Haskell at what Python should be in a lot of ways.  Haskell's
type system is static and helpful, yet inobtrusive like I like my
Python.  Python has added a lot of FP-like features lately, and they're
great.  Things like generators, etc.

But why go only half-way?  Haskell doesn't need a special generator
because a list is lazy.  I like that.

Haskell's greatest deficiency compared to Python, IMHO, is the breadth
of good libraries available for it.  I'm working to fix that.

One down (ftplib), many more (ConfigParser, etc) to go :-)

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming