[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Mon Oct 25 22:51:34 EDT 2004

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk writes:

> I would not be surprised if relying on GC to close open files would
> be generally considered kosher in a few years - in cases when it has
> little visible effects outside, i.e. excluding network connections,
> but including reading configuration files.

One of the goals of ReiserFS, if I recall correctly, is to create a
filesystem API that doesn't involve file handles. I wonder how far one
could get without explicitly dealing with file handles outside of the IO
library implementation.
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>