[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Mon Oct 25 17:10:29 EDT 2004

Tomasz Zielonka <t.zielonka at students.mimuw.edu.pl> writes:

>> P.S. Why do so many people (including me) seem to come to Haskell
>>      from Python? It can't be just the indentation, can it? ;)
>
> How many? I don't.

And I don't either.

But indeed I've seen more references to Haskell on Python lists than
on other lists:

http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.python+haskell
   - 1590 posts
http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.python
   - 219 000 threads

http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.java+haskell
   - 73 posts
http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.java
   - 85 100 threads

http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.perl+haskell
   - 35 posts
http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.perl
   - 52 700 threads

http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.c+haskell
   - 197 posts
http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.c
   - 435 000 threads

http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.scheme+haskell
   - 1330 posts
http://groups.google.com/groups?&q=group%3Acomp.lang.scheme
   - 44 800 threads

I don't know how to get the total number of posts from a group
archived by Google. Assuming that average threads on these groups
have the same size, Haskell is
- 8  times  more  popular on c.l.python than c.l.java,
- 11 times  more  popular on c.l.python than c.l.perl,
- 16 times  more  popular on c.l.python than c.l.c, but finally
- 4  times *less* popular on c.l.python than c.l.scheme,
i.e. the order of Haskell-awareness is Scheme > Python > Java > Perl > C.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/