[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Remi Turk rturk at science.uva.nl
Mon Oct 25 16:17:32 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 09:28:23PM +0200, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:55:46PM +0200, Remi Turk wrote:
> > P.S. Why do so many people (including me) seem to come to Haskell
> >      from Python? It can't be just the indentation, can it? ;)
>
> How many? I don't.
>
> Best regards,
> Tom

At least one. (Me) And, judging from the amount of references to
Python in these mailing-lists, I really doubt I'm the only one.

I actually met Haskell mostly by reading about it in the python
mailinglist/newsgroup. (in e.g. Alex Martelli's posts)

Someone else (who shall remain anonymous. SCNR) wrote:
> Speculation I'm afraid to post:  People are drawn to Python because they
> hear it is a clean language, but slowly find that it's really pretty
> messy internally.  Haskell is beautiful on the outside and the inside.
> :-)

The last sentence I can definitely agree with, but I'm not so
sure Python really is that messy. (Messier-than-Haskell sure, but
messy? ;o)

Groetjes,
Remi

P.S. Hm, it _is_ haskell-cafe, but maybe it's about time for a
     [Off-topic] note? ;)

--
Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it.