[Haskell-cafe] Are handles garbage-collected?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Sun Oct 24 15:19:59 EDT 2004

I'm puzzled why explicit bracketing is seen as an acceptable solution.
It seems to me that bracketing has the same drawbacks as explicit memory
management, namely that it sometimes retains the resource (e.g., memory
or file descriptor) longer than necessary (resource leak) and sometimes
not long enough (potentially disastrous programmer error).  Whether the
resource is system RAM, file descriptors, video memory, fonts, brushes,
bitmaps, graphics contexts, 3D polygon meshes, or whatever, I'd like GC
to track the resource use and free unused resources correctly and
efficiently.

Cheers,

     - Conal