[Haskell-cafe] Re: Are handles garbage-collected?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Oct 24 12:57:07 EDT 2004

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk writes:

 > It does not necessarily make bracket unavailable. Just
 > put it somewhere outside, when it's known when the file
 > will need to be closed.

The problem is that there is a gap of coverage, so to speak.
It works like this in my code:

 input -> iodriver --> connection handler --+
           | /|\                            |
 output <--+  +-----------------------------+
                       (Event, State)

The I/O driver is a StateT monad which calls the (various)
connection handlers every time new input is available from
the network. The handlers are StateT monads, too, and their
respective state is stored in the I/O driver's state when
they return.

Now I have the case where a connection handler needs open a
handle -- and keep it open for the life-time of the
connection. But what happens if I receive an exception after
the handle has been opened but before the connection handler
has returned? The handle is _supposed_ to leave the
connection handler, so it cannot attach any 'finally'
clauses or 'bracket' calls. And doing it in I/O driver is
too late. Neither will catching the exception in the I/O
driver help, because the intermediate state, which contained
the open handle, is lost.

The only solution I would know is to put the entire state of
the connection handler into an MVar, so that any changes to
it are immediate for the I/O driver. But that approach feels
like overkill to me. I can't judge what it would to the
performance of the whole application either. Doing every
little state access through an MVar can't be fast, can it?

If there is another solution, then I'd be delighted to hear
about it.

Peter