[Haskell-cafe] Re: OCaml list sees abysmal Language Shootoutresults

J. Garrett Morris J.Garrett.Morris at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Oct 13 18:31:25 EDT 2004

--- Ketil Malde wrote:
Or, what if String were one?  Could we have painless read/show with
arrays of Char, as well as lists, for instance?
--- end of quote ---

I think with a decent set of type classes for collections, better handling of strings would come for free.  If any list function could be made implementation independent, then strings could still be treated as lists of chars, but the underlying implementation could be completely different (arrays, PackedStrings, etc.)  /gXm