Language extension idea (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: OCaml list sees...)

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Oct 10 06:20:00 EDT 2004

J.Garrett.Morris at Dartmouth.EDU (J. Garrett Morris) writes:

> Changing the subject very slightly, this brings up two questions:
> 1)  Wouldn't implementing the Views proposal allow this?

I think the answer is yes.

> 2)  Why haven't views been implemented (and why are they a "never"
>     in the HaskellTwo discussion in HaWiki)?

I can't speak to the 'never', but there /is/ an implementation in
ghc of something closely resembling Views, called Pattern Guards.

    http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/pat.htm

As an example, instead of the following list-only code,

    f :: List a -> ...
    f []    = ...

you could write this more general version, which assumes only some
class Sequence with operations null, head, tail, etc.

    f :: Sequence s => s a -> ...
    f list | null list                       = ...
           | h <- head list, t <- tail list  = ...

Although slightly more verbose, it still achieves something like the
clarity of pattern-matching.

Regards,
    Malcolm