[Haskell-cafe] Re: OCaml list sees abysmal Language Shootoutresults

William Lee Irwin III wli at holomorphy.com
Fri Oct 8 10:58:12 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:55:05PM +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:
> I'm as dumb as anybody, but it seems to me that one could read a lazy
> chain (list) of buffers as UArray Int Word8, and tack a list-type
> interface (head, tail, cons...) interface on top.

I had in mind a more general attack on things like e.g. list
concatenation, reversal, indexing (!!), and so on in addition to cache
locality, packing, and reducing space overhead of list linkage. As
Keith Wansbrough mentioned in another post, these kinds of arrangements
tend to spoil other useful properties of the more naive-looking lists.

-- wli