[Haskell-cafe] Re: The State Monad

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Oct 7 23:28:46 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-07, J. Garrett Morris <J.Garrett.Morris at Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:

> I can run both of those without a problem - could you post more of
> your code?  It's probably somewhere else.  /gXm

You're right; I must have goofed somewhere.  But I don't have real code
yet, since I can't figure out the basic way of doing things.  Here was
my latest attempt:

getOrSet :: Maybe Int -> State Int Int
getOrSet m = case m of
                    Nothing -> do
                               n <- get
                               return n
                    Just x -> do
                              put x
                              return x

But it doesn't seem to really be useful.

When I try execState/evalState, it just return my argument when I call
it with Nothing, or the thing passed to Just when I call it with that.