[Haskell-cafe] Being Compatible

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Oct 7 10:35:11 EDT 2004

I have appreciated some of the comments here about what exactly is
standardized.  My next question is how to work at the greatest number of

I am working on a library of Haskell-related utilities.  There is some
code in there that works with binary I/O, and some code that works with
rawSystem(), etc.

Some of these are not supported on Hugs, nhc98, or ghc5 to varying

My initial thought was to use the cpp-style ifdefs I've seen elsewhere
to mask those unsupported features on those particular systems.  But
Hugs at least doesn't support that, and I've found it extremely
difficult to find a list of predefined macros for the other systems

What is the suggested way to work around these problems?