[Haskell-cafe] What Functions are Standard?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Oct 5 23:02:40 EDT 2004

I have been writing code using the docs over at
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/index.html, which
is the only comprehensive library reference I could find.

I am using some code from System.IO, supposedly from base.  When I try
to build this with nhc98, it doesn't know about hGetBuf, hPutBuf, or
openBinaryFile from there or about mallocForeignPtrArray from the
Foreign.* area.  But all these look standard to me.

What am I missing here?  Does nhc98 really completely lack the ability
to read binary data from a file?  Or where should I be finding it, and
how could I have known for myself that those particular ghc functions
were unsupported elsewhere?

John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming