[Haskell-cafe] OCaml list sees abysmal Language Shootout results

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Oct 1 02:48:58 EDT 2004

Ketil Malde <ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no> writes:

>> wc :: !(Int,Int,Int) -> Char -> (Int, Int, Int)

> I'm not sure if that was your question

Sorry about that, brain malfunction, bangs are for data declarations,
I'll get that cup of coffee now.

I guess what you really want to do, is to put some `seq`s in there.
Something like:

    wc (cs,ws,ls) ... = cs `seq` ws `seq` ls `seq` ...the def. of wc...

which evaluates the Ints before doing anything else.  Or use (!$)
(like function application ($), but strict).

-kzm