[Haskell-cafe] Execution Contexts

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 04:42:40 EST 2004

On 27 Nov 2004, at 00:59, Benjamin Franksen wrote:

> I finally understood that George Russell's Library is not really about
> global
> variables. Rather it is about what I want to call 'execution
> contexts', which
> are -- as Marcin Kowalczyk observed -- a restricted form of dynamically
> scoped variables.

> type XIO a = StateT Context IO a

...which, amusingly, brings us almost full circle to the message which
sparked off this particular iteration of the Great Global Variables

..which uses StateT Env IO

Although your work is rather more complete than what I sketch in that

A problem is the ability to pass callbacks to external libraries...