[Haskell-cafe] IO and State

Iavor S. Diatchki diatchki at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Nov 10 13:35:56 EST 2004

Hello,
Concurrency in Haskell (technically GHC) is much like concurrency in
other languages,
in that you fork off threads and do stuff with them, etc.
I think you are perhaps thinking of another kind of concurrency, where
different redexes in
a term are evaluted simultaneously?  Here is an example to illustrate
what I was talking about
(the point about stToIO making that one law unsafe)

 > import Control.Monad.ST
 > import Data.STRef
 > import Control.Concurrent
 > import Control.Monad(when)

 > reader     :: STRef r Int -> ST r ()
 > reader r    = do x <- readSTRef r
                   y <- readSTRef r
                   when (x == y) (reader r)

 > writer     :: Int -> STRef r Int -> ST r ()
 > writer n r  = do writeSTRef r n
                   writer (n+1) r

 > main       :: IO ()
 > main        = do r <- stToIO (newSTRef 0)
                   forkIO (stToIO (writer 1 r))
                   stToIO (reader r)

In GHC the whole program stops when the main thread exits.
So if the law I was talking about holds, this program should
never terminate, as it will forever loop in 'reader'.
However since there is a concurrent thread running that can modify
the state, if 'reader' is interrupted between the two readSTRefs
we will get different values for 'x' and 'y' and 'reader' will stop.
I tried that in GHC and it stops after a little while, so the law does
not hold.

What is interesting is that I think the law does hold if
we execute an ST computation using runST, so at least in principle
GHC could perform this optimiziation in such situations.
I think the law holds then, as I think no reference can escape to
concurrent threads,
as if they did their region parameter would become "RealWorld", and so
the computation
could not be runSTed.

-Iavor