[Haskell-cafe] Re: Lazy XML handling

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Mon May 17 10:35:20 EDT 2004

At 17:57 14/05/04 +0100, MR K P SCHUPKE wrote:

>Please note... The list represents a tree because each node is:
>
>         [(XmlTreeDepth,XmlElement)]
>
>This IS a tree, just a different representation. [...]

I missed that ... I didn't look too closely at your
representation.  Effectively, this means that a simple list traversal
corresponds to a depth-first left-to-right of the tree, right?

I'd say it's still less easy (through clearly possible) for an application
to adopt alternative traversal patterns.

>I am not sure what the representation you just gave is???
>
>         [[ element ]]
>
>surely that simplifies to a list of elements... what am I missing?

?  I just quoted some declarations from HaXml.   The types Element and
Content there are mutually recursive, providing the basic tree
structure.  I don't see where [[ element ]] comes from.

#g