[Haskell-cafe] generic preprocessor for haskell

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon May 17 10:43:10 EDT 2004

I guess that extensible syntax is great for language experiments, but I'd
be concerned about it becoming a common feature of production
programming.  I have found that even the simple facility of user-defined
operators (not including the `name` form) leads to code that is far harder
to pick up and understand.

I hypothesize (based on my own experience) that when picking up some new
code, a programmer relies to a considerable extent on the mnemonic
significance of the names used in the code.  Non-mnemonic elements of the
code must be learned and committed to memory before they can be read with
any facility.  This suggests that user-defined syntax (and operators) run
the risk of making the task of understanding a new program more akin to
learning a new programing language.

#g