[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and concurrency

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 25 07:20:46 EDT 2004

On 25 June 2004 11:52, Graham Klyne wrote:

> Anyway, I was wondering if any of the work on concurrent Haskell or
> concurrent functional programming addresses similar systems or ideas,
> in which implementation/hardware concurrency is decoupled from
> application concurrency requirements, and particularly with a view to
> applications requiring very low-overhead fine-grained concurrency?

Concurrent Haskell is designed to provide exactly the kind of
lightweight concurrency you're after.  It won't be as quick as a custom
application-specific threading model in the way you describe, but it's a
*lot* faster than using one OS-thread for each thread in your system.

And if you find it to be still too slow for your application, we know of
several ways to speed it up...

Cheers,
	Simon