[Haskell-cafe] Beginner problems with 'triple' code

Stu White disco_stu_rex at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 13:10:06 EDT 2004

Hi

I'm not especially experienced in using haskell, and I could use some help.

As part of a project, I'm trying to construct a data type that can represent three values as a 'triple' (as opposed to a 'tuple'), and then make a function so that I can sort these values into ascending order.

I'm having a few problems with the code that I have at the minute (I suspect its riddled with errors!)

type Triple = Triple {
    entry 1 :: a;
    entry 2 :: a;
    entry 3 :: a;
    sortTriple :: Triple a -> Triple a;
    } deriving (Show, Eq)
where
    sortTriple t@(Triple x y z)
        | (y<x) = sortTriple (Triple y x z)
        | (z<y) = sortTriple (Triple x z y)
        | otherwise = t

Hope you guys can help me, sorry if this seems trivial - but I'm only a beginner!  If you could explain/correct any errors I'd appreciate it, as I am trying to learn what to do and what not to do, not just arrive at a working program.

Thanks
S. Midley