[Haskell-cafe] so how does one convert an IO a into an a ?

Crypt Master cryptmaster at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:50:44 EDT 2004

Hi

Thanks for your help so far, but I am still not getting this IO stuff. After
reading your previous help and reading several articles on it I still cant
phathom how you convert the IO Int into an Int.

One person mentioned how random just returns an interative program which
when eveluated returns the Int. Also from the school of expression book he
says " The right way to think of (>>=) above is simply this: It "Executes"
e1 ..." in relation to "do pat <- e1 ...".

so I have this:

<code>
rollDice :: IO Int
rollDice = getStdRandom (randomR (1,6))

rl :: [Int]
rl = [ (getRndNum x) | x <- [1..] ]

getRndNum :: Int -> Int
getRndNum x = do n <- rollDice
               return n
</code>  *PS Pretend return is correctly aligned under n. dont what ahppens
in copy and paste*

now my understanding therefore is that "do n <- rollDice" should execute the
the itererative program returned by rollDice. So now n should be my Int
since IO Int was a program which when evaluted returns an Int ?

However this is what haskell thinks of my thoery:

*** Term           : getRndNum
*** Type           : Int -> IO (Maybe Int)
*** Does not match : Int -> Int

So I am still in IO Int land despite having used the >>= in the do syntax.
Worse Still I am in IO (Maybe Int) land. Monads within Monads.

In yours, and many other examples I found online, the results are always
passed to print which seems to know how to deal with an IO Int. Is this
specially coded or overloaded or something ?

There are plenty of examples which use return like so:

do k <- getKey w
    return k

which is what I tried above to no avail.

It seems awefully complicated just to get hold a simple Int, but naturally
complicity is directly related to ones understanding. Mine is sumewhat
lacking ... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,