[Haskell-cafe] RE: infered type does not typecheck

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 8 04:48:59 EDT 2004

Duncan

Oleg's recent message to Haskell-Café tackles your real problem, but I thought I'd just say what is going on with your apparent bug below.  Here's a much simpler example:

	class Foo a b where
 	   to :: a -> b
 	   fro :: b -> a

	-- foo :: forall b1 b a. (Foo a b, Foo a b1) => b -> b1
	foo x = to (fro x)

Without the type signature, the program typechecks "fine", and GHCi reports the type in the comment.  But if you uncomment the type signature, typechecking fails.  Why?

It's because the type is really ambiguous.  'fro' converts from b to a, and 'to' converts back... but the 'a' is entirely lost in the process.  It's very like the classic (show (read x)) example.  So the type
	foo :: forall b1 b a. (Foo a b, Foo a b1) => b -> b1

is really unusable, because there is nothing to constrain 'a'.  When you add the type signature, GHC can't establish the connection between the 'a' needed as the intermediate type in the (to (fro x)) composition and the 'a' in the type signature.

You might argue that GHC should reject foo in the first place, and you'd be right, really.  But it's hard in general to reject exactly and only the ambiguous cases (given functional dependencies and all that jazz), and I have not worked hard on that.

But I grant that it's rather counter-intuitive that adding a type signature that GHC itself deduces goes wrong!  You're right to count it a bug.

Simon