[Haskell-cafe] Running Total or Incremental Sum as a higher order type ?

Crypt Master cryptmaster at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 05:29:25 EDT 2004

Hi

I was attempting to get a running a total of a list i.e

for [1,2,3]

the result should be

[1,3,6]   -- [1, 1+2, 2+3]

I build this function:

incrementalSum [] x = []
incrementalSum (x:xs) runningTotal = currentSum : incrementalSum xs
currentSum
                                                     where
                                                           currentSum =
runningTotal + x

I was trying to see how I could higher order functions for this but came up
empty. Surely this is a pattern which has been abstracted ? I feel I have
missed the obvious here.

Thanks,