pet project - 7 Millennium Prize problemss

Christopher Milton cmiltonperl at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 09:23:46 EST 2004

--- Keith Wansbrough <Keith.Wansbrough at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Christopher Milton <cmiltonperl at yahoo.com> writes:
> > I think  Haskell can be used to solve several, if not all, of
> > the seven problems.
> >
> > Now I have to decide which problem to tackle first.
>
> (a joke, I assume...)
>
> http://www.claymath.org/Millennium_Prize_Problems/
>
> 1. Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture
> 2. Hodge Conjecture
> 3. Navier-Stokes Equations
> 4. P vs NP
> 5. Poincare Conjecture
> 6. Riemann Hypothesis
> 7. Yang-Mills Theory
>
> Any ideas how to solve any of these, with Haskell or otherwise?

I was thinking of combining one of the algebra libraries with a theorem
prover, and maybe a refactoring tool, then plugging in some of the
equations to see what happens, e.g.:

James J. Leifer: "Formal logic via functional programming"
http://para.inria.fr/~leifer/research.html
http://para.inria.fr/~leifer/articles/logic/LogicviaFP.300.ps.gz
http://para.inria.fr/~leifer/articles/logic/LogicviaFP.gs

Serge Mechveliani: "DoCon the Algebraic Domain Constructor"
http://www.haskell.org/docon/

Jeroen Fokker: "Explaining algebraic theory with functional programs"
http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/jeroen/article/algebra/index.html

Refactoring Functional Programs
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/refactor-fp/

Yes, it's crazy and naive, but I need to give my brain some exercise.

=====
Christopher Milton
cmiltonperl at yahoo.com