[Haskell-cafe] Re: Non-technical Haskell question

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 13:02:59 EST 2004

On 6 Dec 2004, at 17:29, John Goerzen wrote:

> That is an excellent point.  Who would use an ls or cp that requires
> 10MB of RAM, especially on embedded devices?

This is presumably just because we don't have 'smart' linking, so the
whole library is bundled in. I imagine in principle smart linking would
be possible...

> optimization.  I for one think that the performance benefit we see from
> that is more than offset by the inconvenience.  If it were at least
> made
> an option, then a lot of other options would become available to us,
> too.

I imageine that turning off cross-module inlining could be catastrophic
for performance in certain cases. C++ solves this problem by defining
all its inlinable functions in the interface rather than the
implementation. Conceivably a clever compiler could still do inlining
in one direction, and produce a dynamically linked executable, I