[Haskell-cafe] Fun with multi-parameter type classes

Sam Mason mason at f2s.com
Thu Aug 19 17:22:49 EDT 2004

Jon Cast wrote:
>The intermediate type /is/ needed---it's a (hidden) parameter to your
>`encode' and `decode' functions.  Why do you think it shouldn't be?

Because I couldn't see the woods for the trees.  I think I had
almost figured out what I was asking (the impossible) before your
message appeared.

I've actually been getting quite confused over this for quite a while
and got a lot of it sorted out while I wrote the original email.
That's why the subject doesn't match the body at all - I completly
rewrote the message several times as I figured out what was going
on, but forgot to update the subject.

Thanks,
  Sam