[Haskell-cafe] closed classes [was: Re: exceptions vs. Either]

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Aug 9 18:26:32 EDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:00:44PM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> At the moment I'm only thinking of parameter-less kind declarations but
> one could easily imagine kind parameters, and soon we'll have kind
> polymorphism....  but one step at a time.
>
> Any thoughts?

My first thought is I am going to need a better editor mode that can
tell from context whether an identifier is a value, type, or kind (or
meta-kind?) constructor and differentiate them visually :)

would these kind constructors need to be encoded into system F or the
lambda cube,  or would it be possible that they be eliminated right
after typechecking or easily desugared away like classes?

The idea is quite interesting. I was thinking about explicit kinds the
other day, but just as an idle curiosity, now that this thread has
provided some real-world interesting uses, I will have to think about
them some more :)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈