[Haskell-cafe] closed classes [was: Re: exceptions vs. Either]

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon Aug 9 13:05:00 EDT 2004

At 16:00 09/08/04 +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>Any thoughts?

Well, a thought, but I'm not sure that it leads anywhere useful.

In the process of learning Haskell, I've vaguely observed to myself that
features introduced for describing data (i.e. type expressions) seem to
also be usable in higher form to describe types.  Mostly, the Haskell
language definition resists such extension, by sticking with a very simple
notion of kind and type construction (or is that a fundamental restriction
of Hindley-Milner?).

For example, if I choose the "wrong" parameter ordering for a type
constructor in a class declaration, I sometimes find the resulting class
cannot be used in the ways intended --only one possible sequence of partial
instantiation is possible-- and have found myself wondering if type-level
lambda abstraction wouldn't be a useful feature to overcome this.

Your suggestion seems to be another feature in the same vein:  extending
data features to types.  I find myself wondering where this might all
end.  If types acquire many of the manipulations that are available for
data values, then might one find that, in turn, cases will be found that
seem to require similar capabilities for kinds?

Is there any possibility of a theory that will avoid the need to replicate
features at higher and higher levels?

(This all seems vaguely reminiscent of the theoretical issues that faced
denotational program semantics --which I don't claim to understand-- until
Dana Scott's work showed that there was a logical foundation for treating
functions as values.  [er, did I get that right?].)

#g