[Haskell-cafe] Re: exceptions vs. Either

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Fri Aug 6 06:31:50 EDT 2004

At 12:36 06/08/04 +1000, André Pang wrote:
>Static guarantees are great, but if you have to explicitly change your
>style of coding to cope with those extra constraints, it can become (very)
>cumbersome.
>
>[...]  It's a human problem, not a technical one.

I think that's an important point.  For some related opinion, see:

"worse-is-better, even in its strawman form, has better survival
characteristics than the-right-thing"
  -- http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html
[*]

My point being that we have some knobs to play with here, and that winding
them fully to one end of the scale is likely to result in something that
few want to use, or can be bothered to learn.

#g
--

[*] I acknowledge Dan Connolly (W3C) for pointing this out in a different
forum, just a couple of days ago.