[Haskell-cafe] Re: exceptions vs. Either

MR K P SCHUPKE k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 04:56:23 EDT 2004

>After all, Java basically does exactly what you're asking for with

Java's head/tail would be doing runtime checks if they are throwing exceptions,
static guarantees mean the program would not be allowed to compile if it broke
the static guarantees.

>end-programmers have to worry much less about handling errors properly.

Which is a bad thing! All programmers always have to consider error conditions,
if they don't they write buggy code - that's the nature of the beast. I prefer
making programmers expicitly face the decisions they are making, rather than
have things implicitly handled in a way that hides what is going on from the
programmer.

Keean.